The HTC Wildfire is a budget-level smartphone, running on Google’s Android 2.1 operating system, and will go on sale in August, initially exclusive to Telstra.
I say budget, but no pricing details will be released until closer to the date. But looking at the specs of the HTC Wildfire (see below), it is definitely not as highly-specced as the HTC Legend and HTC Desire – slower processor, lower resolution screen – and a cheaper price than those two flagship models from HTC is to be expected.
But it still packs a decent punch, with the excellent HTC Sense interface that works around and within the Google Android OS, a capacitive touchscreen, so it might be a phone to look at to step someone up into the smartphone world.
It has all the regular social widgets, Facebook, Twitter and Flickr, and a new feature, an app recommendation capability. If you have an Android app you like, and think that a friend might too, you can send a link so that they too can easily download it.
On sale in Europe you have the choice of the black, white, red and mocha brown. In Australia, it’ll be just the black and white colourways.
Looks-wise, it’s some of a HTC Frankenstein. It has the reinforcing metal strap of the Legend, and a slight ‘HTC chin, like the HTC Desire, and the size of the HTC HD Mini.
HTC Wildfire video demonstration
For a closer look at the HTC Wildfire, here’s a 4.5 minute video to run you over the main features:
- Screen: 3.2 inches capacitive touchscreen; Resolution 240 x 320 QVGA
- Processor: Qualcomm 528 MHz
- Networks: HSDPA/WCDMA: 900/2100 MHz; GSM: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz
- Operating system: Android 2.1
- Battery: 1300 mAh rechargeable Lithium-ion battery
- Talk time: WCDMA: Up to 440 minutes; GSM: up to 490 minutes
- Standby time: WCDMA: Up to 690 hours; GSM: up to 480 hours
- Camera: 5 megapixel, auto focus, flash, geotagging
- Connections: 3.5 mm headphone jack, standard micro-USB
- Sensors: G-Sensor, digital compass, proximity sensor, ambient light sensor
- Storage: ROM: 512 MB; RAM: 384 MB; Expansion slot: microSD memory card (SD 2.0 compatible), up to 32GB
- Location: Internal GPS antenna, Google Maps, HTC Footprints
- Dimensions: 106.75 x 60.4 x 12.19 mm (H x W x D)
- Weight: 118 grams (with battery)
- Recommended computer requirements: Windows 7, Windows Vista, or Windows XP
HTC Wildfire release date and price
Telstra will have the HTC Wildfire on sale from August 24, and the phone will be exclusive to Telstra until November 15, 2010. Customers can buy the HTC Wildfire outright for $349, or for $0 upfront on a range of post-paid plans.
Telstra initially will only sell the HTC Wildfire in its Phantom Black colour, while Telstra partner Fone Zone will have an exclusive on the Pure White colour from August 24 to September 28. After September 28 Telstra will also have the HTC Wildfire in the Pure White colour on sale.