‘Moulin Rouge!‘, and ‘William Shakespeare’s Romeo + Juliet‘ have been remastered, and are coming to the Blu-ray disc format. Both films are part of Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment’s ‘Musicals That Play Anywhere’.
Including new bonus material (see below for the list), these two movies will not only have the high definition Blu-ray disc in the package, there will also be a standard DVD disc, plus Digital Copy, which allows you to copy the movies across to watch on your iPod, iPad, or other portable audiovisual device.
Of the remaster process, director of both films, Baz Luhrmann says:
“As a fan, I’ve seen examples where the technology is so powerful, a much-loved film goes in for a Blu-ray treatment and, somewhat like a friend who has had too much surgery, you no longer recognize them.
“Mindful of the relationship evolved with many fans of these two films, the esteemed digital intermediate colorist Jan Yarbrough, who recently completed colour restorations of ‘North by Northwest’ and ‘The Godfather’ films, and I sat together day in and day out seeking to maintain the color philosophy forged in the cauldron of shooting, while giving full reign to the power of high-definition technology to deliver a Moulin Rouge and an R+J that audiences will recognize but are nevertheless realized at the highest possible visual quality.
“As a filmmaker you never know whether you will ever have a chance to revisit movies again, and so we have gone about this with the attitude that this could be for the last time.”
Moulin Rouge Blu-ray disc bonus material
- Picture-in-Picture Mode, with audio commentary by Baz Luhrmann, Catherine Martin, Donald M. McAlpine and Craig Pearce and featuring behind-the-scenes footage and stills
- All-new featurette A Creative Adventure and Introduction by Baz Luhrmann A Word from Baz
- Uncut footage from the Bazmark Vault including:
- Father & Son – A Look at an Alternate Opening
- Nicole Kidman’s First Vocal Test
- Production featurettes and interviews: The Stars, The Writers, The Design, The Dance, The Music and The Cutting Room
- The Making of Moulin Rouge and More!
- BD-LIVE: Live Lookup™ powered by IMDb – connection to the IMDB database to pull in information about the actors while you’re watching the film
William Shakespeare’s Romeo+Juliet Blu-ray disc bonus material
- Picture-in-Picture Mode with Audio Commentary by Baz Luhrmann, Catherine Martin, Donald M. McAlpine and Craig Pearce and featuring behind-the-scenes footage and stills
- Uncut footage from the Bazmark Vault
- Romeo + Juliet: The Music Documentary
- Filmmaker and interview galleries
- BD-LIVE: Live Lookup™ powered by IMDb
Moulin Rouge and Romeo + Juliet release date
The release date for the Blu-ray editions of ‘Moulin Rouge’ and ‘William Shakespeare’s Romeo+Juliet’, is November 3.
Subscribe to TechStyle’s RSS by email service
Keep up with TechStyle’s articles, news, reviews and more, by having it delivered direct to your email inbox. It’s quick and easy to subscribe, and you control your subscription.