The Bowers & Wilkins MM-1 multimedia speakers – that is speakers for iPods and MP3 players and computers – will soon cause a very stylish stir when they go on sale in Australia. According to the local distributor they will go on sale in the “next 3-4 months”, which as specific as they can be at this point. And of course, there’s no Australian pricing available yet, but to give you some sort of idea in the UK they sell for £399.95.
Not only do these speakers, from the makers of the very desirable Zeppelin iPod docks, look good, they have also quite a deal of high-quality sound features packed into their compact form factor. The tweeters on the MM-1 are direct descendants of the recording studio standard Nautilus speakers, as used at the famous Abbey Road Studios, while the Digital Signal Processing hiding inside manages full, rich and powerful sound output. For better sound, the MM-1 also offer connectivity not only by 3.5 mm jack, but also by USB. And the Bowers & Wiklins MM-1s also employ two drivers, one handling bass and mid-range, the other the treble.
- Drive units: 2x f75mm (3.0 in) woofers, 2x f25mm (1.0 in) tweeter
- Frequency range: -6dB at 57Hz and 22kHz
- Amplifier power output: 4x18W
- Power input voltage: 100V – 240V ac 50/60Hz on external power supply; 16V DC on product
- Rated power consumption: 12W (primary consumption)
- Standby power consumption: <0.8W
- Inputs: 3.5 mm mini jack analog, mini USB B 2.0 for PC connection: Streaming & software upgrades
- Outputs: 3.5 mm mini jack Headphone output
- Dimensions: 170 x 100 x 100 mm free standing (H x W x D)
- Weight: 0.85kg per speaker
- Finish: Enclosure: ABS with spun aluminium top plate; Grilles: Black cloth
- Features: 2-way speaker, fully active, Nautilus tube tweeters, digital amplifier, Digital Signal Processing (DSP), switch mode power supply, USB streaming from PC/Mac, remote control
Subscribe to TechStyle’s RSS by email service
Keep up with TechStyle’s articles, news, reviews and more, by having it delivered direct to your email inbox. Subscription is quick, easy, and you control your subscription.