There’s been more than a few people on the official HTC Australia Facebook page lately asking the question, ‘Will Australia ever get the HTC Sensation?’ HTC’s new premium phone has been on sale elsewhere in the world since May, and until today question regarding local availability have been deflected. As of this afternoon, those people now have an answer. Not a total answer mind you. By that I mean we know the who, and the roundabouts of the when, but not the how much.
The HTC Sensation will be sold by Telstra, and will be available sometime in the month of July. And of course there are no pricing details given, they’re to be held back until closer to the HTC Sensation launch date. But really, the pricing on these smartphones is rarely a surprise. Have a look at the top of the line smartphones on sale now, and that should be a pretty good guide to the pricing of the HTC Sensation. We’re probably looking at a cost of around $1,800-$1,900 on a 2-year plan.
And what do you get for that? The HTC Sensation is a unibody aluminium construction, running on Google Android, version 2.3, more popularly called Android Gingerbread. Powering it is a 1.2 gigahertz dual core processor, and the screen is a 4.3 inch touchscreen. It packs an 8 megapixel main camera, and uses the SRS Labs Virtual Surround Sound system to make the most of the device’s speakers.
HTC Sensation – photo gallery
Click the following thumbnail images below to see the full-size individual images of the HTC Sensation, and then click the back button of your browser to return to this page.
HTC Sensation – video
For an overview of the look and features of the HTC Sensation, here’s a 50 second promotional video, from HTC.
For a hands-on look, here’s a video review from Android Central:
HTC Sensation specifications
- Operating system: Android Gingerbread (Android 2.3)
- Screen: 4.3-inch touchscreen, with qHD (540 X 960) resolution
- Processor: 1.2 GHz, dual core
- Storage: Internal phone storage: 1 GB; RAM: 768 MB
- Expansion slot: microSD memory card (SD 2.0 compatible)
- Main camera:8 megapixel, with auto focus and dual LED flash
- Front camera: VGA fixed focus color camera
- HD video recording: 1080p HD video recording
- GPS: Internal GPS antenna, With Locations, explore maps with zero wait, zero dead spots, and zero data roaming fees
- Internet: 3G: Up to 14.4 Mbps download speed, up to 5.76 Mbps upload speed; GPRS: Up to 114 Kbps downloading; EDGE:
Up to 560 Kbps downloading; Wi-Fi: IEEE 802.11 b/g/n
- Tethering: USB and Wi-Fi tethering
- Connectors: 3.5 mm stereo audio jack, micro-USB 2.0 (5-pin) port with mobile high-definition video link (MHL) for USB or HDMI connection
- Sensors: Gyro sensor, G-Sensor, digital compass, proximity sensor, ambient light sensor
- Multimedia: Gallery, Music, and FM Radio; SRS virtual surround sound for wired headphone; DLNA for wirelessly streaming media from the phone to your TV or computer
- Audio supported formats: Playback: .aac, .amr, .ogg, .m4a, .mid, .mp3, .wav, .wma (Windows Media Audio 9); Recording: .amr
- Video supported formats: Playback: .3gp, .3g2, .mp4, .wmv (Windows Media Video 9), .avi (MP4 ASP and MP3), .xvid (MP4 ASP and MP3); Recording: .3gp
- Battery: 1520 mAh rechargeable Lithium-ion battery
- Talk time: WCDMA: Up to 420 minutes; GSM: Up to 500 minutes
- Standby time: WCDMA: Up to 525 hours; GSM: Up to 285 hours
- Network: HSPA/WCDMA – Europe/Asia/T-Mobile US: 900/AWS/2100 MHz; Quad-band GSM/GPRS/EDGE – 850/900/1800/1900 MHz
- Recommended Windows system requirements: Windows 7, Windows Vista, or Windows XP
- Dimensions: 126.1 x 65.4 x 11.3 mm (H x W x D)
- Weight: 148 grams with battery
HTC Sensation release date and price
- $0 upfront on a $79 Freedom Connect Plan (min cost is $1,896 over 24 months) – includes $800 worth of eligible calls, unlimited standard national text, unlimited MessageBank use and 2GB of data to use in Australia each month
- $59 Business Mobile Maximiser Plan with an additional handset payment of$13 per month (min cost is $1,728 over 24 months). This plan includes $550 worth of eligible calls, unlimited standard national text and 1.5GB of data to use in Australia each month
| HTC Australia |