Initially limited to sale in the USA and the UK, Vodafone have announced this evening that the Nexus S will “soon be available in Vodafone stores around the world”. The press release states that it will go on sale in 24 countries, which it does not yet name. There are also no specific release date or pricing details.
Back in December last year, at the time of the announcement of the USA and UK release, the Australian arm of Samsung released the following statement:
“Samsung Electronics Australia is excited at the prospect of bringing the Nexus S to Australia. We are currently reviewing our options on how to bring this to market locally and look forward to sharing more details at a later stage.
Added on the Vodafone Australia blog last night was this:
Vodafone can confirm the Nexus S will be available in Australia. Pricing and launch details to be announced soon. Customers can visit www.vodafone.com.au/nexus tomorrow morning from 9am to pre-register interest for the Nexus S.
Nexus S specifications
- Network: 2.5G (GSM/ GPRS/ EDGE) : 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 MHz; 3G (HSDPA 7.2Mbps, HSUPA 5.76Mbps) : 900 / 1700 / 2100 MHz
- Operating system: Android 2.3 / Gingerbread
- Display: curved 4.0” WVGA Super AMOLED (800×480)
- Camera: 5.0 megapixel camera + VGA front camera, Auto Focus, self shot
- Video: HD([email protected]) video playing, Video recording D1 (720×480)@30fps
mpeg4, H.264, H.263
- Audio: MP3, AAC, AAC+, eAAC+, AMR, AMR-NB
- Features: NFC (Near Field Communications) capability; A-GPS; gyroscope sensor, accelerometer, digital compass, proximity, light, Android Market for more applications and contents
- Connectivity: Bluetooth technology v 2.1 + EDR; USB v2.0 (High-Speed); Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n
- Memory: 16GB iNAND
- Size: 63 x 123.9 x 10.9 mm
- Battery: 1500 mAh
The press release from Vodafone reads as follows:
Vodafone today announced that Nexus S™ will soon be available in Vodafone stores around the world. The world’s first handset to come powered by the latest version of the Android™ platform known as Gingerbread, Nexus S is packed with Google™’s powerful technology and the latest Samsung hardware features.
Patrick Chomet, Vodafone’s Group Director of Terminals, said: “It’s great news that our customers will very soon be able to get Google’s Nexus S direct through our stores. At Vodafone we work closely with our partners across the industry to offer our customers a leading smartphone range that includes the latest innovations in product and user experience.”
DJ Lee, Executive Vice President and Head of Sales & Marketing Team at Samsung’s Mobile Communications Business, said: “I am very pleased to introduce this amazing mobile experience to Vodafone’s customers. Nexus S integrates Samsung’s best-in-class hardware and technology with Android’s stunning new features and user experiences. Nexus S enables users to enjoy the latest mobile technology and faster multimedia content with an intuitive user experience.”