Right now in Hong Kong, the Samsung NX100 mirrorless digital camera is being launched. It’s one of the new breed of not-quite-digital-SLR cameras, in that there’s no mirror used in the image process, but for all intents and purposes these cameras have the shooting power and creativity of the digital SLR, without the heft.
So, the NX100 is a 14.6 megapixel camera, with APS-C CMOS sensor, and supports HD movie recording at 720. A very interesting new camera feature is the Sound Picture mode. Engage this feature, and not only will you get the picture, but you’ll also be able to record the audio around you as you take the picture. It’s the Livescribe digital smartpen of the camera world! It could make for some ‘I didn’t know the button was on’ type of comedy, not to mention some endless and dreary ‘Stay still! Move back! Smile!’ barked instructions.
Says SangJin Park, President of Samsung Digital Imaging Division, Samsung Electronics:
“Our aim is to dominate the mirrorless camera market in the same way that we do in the DualView category, and the new NX100 is the embodiment of that goal.”
“We are the first to create a mirrorless camera with high quality imaging technology which has been designed based on intuitive consumer insights from our in-depth consumer research. This is why we believe that the NX100, alongside the NX10, will cement our leadership in this growing field. Our unique and pioneering i-Function Lens stands out from the competition as an example of our unparalleled innovation, which will appeal to every photographer.”
Samsung NX100 specifications
- 14.6 megapixels
- APS-C CMOS sensor
- 3-inch VGA AMOLED display
- 720p movie recording (H.264)
- SD / SDHC card slot
- i-Function lens system- button allows users to scroll through manual settings, plus there is a focus ring, used to change parameters for each setting. Allows you to toggle between shutter speed, aperture, Exposure Value, White Balance, and ISO by simply using the i-Function button and ring on the lens.
- Dimensions: 120.5 × 71 × 34.5 mm (excluding the projecting parts of the camera)
- Weight: 282 grams (without battery and memory card); 340 grams (Battery and memory card included)
- Shutter: Electronically controlled vertical-run focal plane shutter
- Shutter speed: Auto?1/4000sec. ~ 30sec.; Manual?1/4000sec. ~ 30sec. (1/3EV step); Bulb (Limit time : 8 min)
- ISO: Auto, 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200 (1EV or 1/3EV step);Extension settable : ISO 6400; Auto ISO upper level is selectable. (Up to ISO 1600)
- White Balance: Auto, Daylight, Cloudy, Fluorescent (W, N, D), Tungsten, Flash, Custom, K(Manual)
- Shooting Modes: Smart Auto, Lens Priority, Program, Shutter Priority,Aperture Priority , Manual, Scene, Movie
- Picture Wizard: Standard, Vivid, Portrait, Landscape, Forest, Retro, Cool, Calm, Classic, Custom (1-3)
- Scene Mode: Beauty shot, Children, Close Up, Text, Sunset, Dawn, Backlight, Fireworks, Beach & Snow, Night, Portrait, Landscape, Sports, Sound Picture
- Sound Picture Mode: Sound Recording Time, before and after shooting each 5 or 10seconds
- RAW format: SRW
- Sound Picture mode – record the audio happening around you as you take photos
- Battery: Rechargeable battery BP1310 (1300mAh)
- Battery life: Still : 420shots / 210min (CIPA Standard); Movie : 130 minutes
Samsung NX100 photo gallery
Samsung NX100 release date and price
The Samsung NX100 is due in stores in early October, and will sell for $899 for the body and a 20mm pancake lens kit, or for the body and the 20-50mm standard zoom lens kit.