iOS 4.2 brings to the iPad over 100 new features that have already been added to the iPhone and iPod Touch in versions iOS 4.0 and iOS4.1:
- Multitasking – run multiple apps and switch between them instantly
- Folders – organise your apps by dragging and dropping into folders
- Unified Inbox – view all your email addresses in the one inbox, and threaded message view
- Game Center – sign up and play games against friends and
- AirPlay® – stream music, video and photos wirelessly from iPad, iPhone and iPod touch to Apple TV, or wirelessly to any stereo or powered speakers, or directly to AirPlay-enabled speakers due to be released soon
- AirPrint – print directly from your iPad, iPhone and iPod touch, to AirPrint-enabled printers
Also added in iOS4.2 for free is Find my iPhone / Find my iPad / Find my iPod Touch (4th Gen only) – this app allows owners to locate a missing device on a map and have it display a message or play a sound. Additionally, to safeguard privacy, it allows you to remotely lock or wipe data from a lost device. Access to the ‘Find my…’ feature is via an app download, no longer is a MobileMe account needed.
How do you obtain the upgrade?
As of now, synch your iPad, iPhone and iPod touch with iTunes 10.
- iPhone 3G
- iPhone 3GS
- iPhone 4
- iPod Touch – 2nd and 3rd generation (late 2009 models with 32GB or 64GB) and 4th generation
Note though that not ALL features are available on ALL products. Multitasking requires iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, third generation iPod touch (late 2009 models with 32GB or 64GB) or later.