Announced at the same time as the EOS 600D, Canon have another new addition to its digital SLR camera range with the EOS 1100D. It’s another entry level camera, 12.2 megapixel against the EOS 600D’s 18 megapixels. It also lacks the 3-inch vari-angle clear view LCD screen of the 600D, so yes, the 1100D is at the lower end of the budget range of DSLRs.
That’s not to detract from what I’m sure is a fine camera. It is very much a step up from a compact digital camera, yet remains easy-to-use. That ease-of-use philosophy can be seen in the settings under the Basic settings, with terms such as ‘brighter’, ‘shade’ and ‘sunset’ used instead of ‘hue’ and ‘exposure compensation’.
Also a feature are built-in lessons, in which the EOS 1100D’s shooting modes and functions are explained. And even thought it’s entry-level, it still shoots high definition video in addition to stills.
Canon EOS 1100D release date and price
The EOS 1100D will be available in the following configurations:
- Body only
- Single Kit (with EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 III)
- Single IS Kit (with EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II)
- Twin Kit (with EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 III
- Twin IS Kit (with EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II and EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS
There’s a choice of colours, black, grey, and for a short time, a Limited Edition Red 1100D.
Pricing will be revealed closer to the release date, which will be sometime in March 2011. Overseas this camera will be known as the Canon EOS Rebel T3
Canon EOS 1100D main features
- ISO speed range 100-6400
- 12.2 megapixel CMOS sensor
- High definition video (1280 x 720p)
- DiG!C 4 image processor
- Sensitivity in high ISO
- High speed & precision 9-point AF
- 2.7 inch TFT Colour Liquid Crystral (Approx 230k dots)
| Canon Australia |