Olympus is a market leader in ruggedised compact cameras, and the next in line, the Olympus Tough TG-5, is soon to join the ranks.
How tough is the TG5? It is:
- waterproof down to depths of 15 metres
- dustproof, shockproof to 2.1 metres
- crushproof to 100 kgf
- freezeproof down to -10 ºC
Additionally for the outdoor-inclined, its field sensor system packs in:
- Manometer (altitude and water depth, based on atmospheric pressure and water pressure information)
- Temperature sensor (minimising the effects of heat generated in the camera)
Inside it shares the TruePic VIII image processor used in the Olympus flagship OM-D E-M1 camera. It has a high speed f/2.0 lens, and focal length coverage from 25mm to 100mm.
For those shooting video, the Olympus Tough TG-5 shoots in 4K at 30 frames per second, and Full HD high-speed at 120fps. The HDMI connectivity allows easy viewing on a television, and it has inbuilt wi-fi and smartphone connectivity.
Price and availability
The Olympus Tough TG-5 will be in stores in June 2017, at an RRP of $649. Colour choice will be red or black.
It is also accompanied by a range of optional extras – see the list and pricing for these below.
Olympus Tough TG-5 accessories
- Underwater Case, PT-058 — $49
- Silicone Jacket, CSCH-126 — $149
- Fisheye Converter, FCON-T01 — $59
- Protection Filter, PRF-D40.5 PRO — $129
- Tele Converter, TCON-T01 — $29
- Converter Lens Adapter, CLA-T01 — $59
- LED Light Guide, LG-1 — $69
- Flash Diffuser, FD-1 — $699
- Underwater External Flash, UFL-3 — $599
- Underwater Wide Converter Lens, PTWC-01 — $249
- Underwater Macro Converter Lens, PTMC-01 — $49
- Mesh Camera Case, CSCH-121 (Blue, Red, Black) — $59
- Sport Holder, CSCH-123 (Light blue, Orange) — $49