And the hits keep on coming at Mobile World Congress 2011. After all the rumours of the past few months, HTC are most definitely getting into the tablet computer market, with the HTC Flyer.
Out of the box the HTC Flyer will run on the Android Gingerbread operating system, with HTC claiming an update to the built-for-tablet Android Honeycomb soon after launch.
The Flyer is a 7 inch screen tablet, with an outer case constructed of aluminium. In addition to a touchscreen interface, HTC are throwing a stylus into the mix. In HTC’s words:
With the new HTC Scribe Technology on the HTC Flyer tablet, people can rediscover the natural act of writing. HTC Scribe Technology introduces a wave of integrated digital ink innovations that make it easy and natural to take notes, sign contracts, draw pictures, or even write on a web page or photo.
HTC Scribe Technology on the HTC Flyer tablet transforms traditional note-taking into smart note-taking by integrating natural onscreen writing with thoughtful and integrated innovations. A feature called Timemark enables you to capture the audio of a meeting in line with your written notes, so tapping on a word in your notes instantly takes you to that exact place in time in the audio recording of the meeting. Notes are also integrated with the calendar so when there is an appointment reminder you are automatically prompted with an opportunity to begin a new note or in the case of recurring meetings, to continue where the last meeting left off. In an industry first, the HTC Flyer tablet also features built-in synchronization with Evernote?, the world-leading notes application and service
HTC Flyer release date
The HTC Flyer will have a global launch, sometime in the second-quarter of 2011. Pricing will be released closer to the launch date.
HTC Flyer specifications
- Network: HSPA/WDCMA: 900/AWS/2100 MHz – upload speed of up to 5.76 Mbps and download speed of up to 14.4 Mbps; Quad-band GSM/GPRS/EDGE: 850/900/19800/1900
- Operating system: Android
- Processor: 1.5GHz Qualcomm single-core
- Internal storage: 32GB. Upgradeable via microSD card.
- Screen: 7 inch TFT touchscreen, 1024 x 600 resolution
- RAM: 1GB
- Internal GPS antenna
- Sensors: Ambient light, G-Sensor, digital compass
- Camera: 5 megapixel main camera with auto focus, plus 1.3 megapixel front camera
- Connectivity: Bluetooth 3.0 with A2DP for wireless stereo headsets, Wi-Fi IEEE 802.11 b/g/n, 3.5 mm headphone jack, micro USB (12-pin micro USB 2.0)
- Audio formats: Playback – .aac, .amr, .ogg, .m4a, .mp3, .wav, .wma (Windows Media Audio 9); Recording – .amr, .aac
- Video formats: Playback – .3gp, .3g2, .mp4, .wmv (Windows Media Audio 9), .avi (MP4 ASP and MP3), .xvid (MP4 ASP and MP3); Recording – .3gp
- Battery: Rechargeabe 4000 mAh.
- Standby battery life: 820 to 1470 hours
- Dimensions: 195.4 x 122 x 13.2 mm
- Weight: Approx. 415 grams with battery