The iPhone 4 release date for Australia was revealed in the press conference held in the early hours of Saturday morning (Australian time).
And that date is July 30. It will interesting to see if the recent ‘Antennagate’ controversy bites into the level of Australian enthusiasm for the latest iPhone. Antennagate refers to the reported issues around the use of the interference caused by obstruction of the external aerial when the iPhone 4 is held in the left hand.
In the press conference, Apple CEO Steve Jobs addressed the Antennagate issue by relying on hard data.
- Data collected by AppleCare shows only 0.55% of purchasers contacted re. reception/antenna issue
- AT&T return rates – 6% for iPhone 3GS, 1.7% for iPhone 4
- AT&T call drop rates: iPhone 4 drops 1 more call per 100 calls than the iPhone 3GS
Based on that hard data, and based on Apple’s testing, which Jobs called “”extremely sophisticated testing”, Apple don’t think there’s a problem. Before I leave the subject of testing, there was no details released on the testing methods or results.
Something else Jobs said, several times, was that “we [Apple] want to make all our users happy”. Despite the hard data seemingly absolving the iPhone 4, Apple are offering something to iPhone 4 purchasers. They are offering a free Apple Bumper case, that will end any antenna issue, to all customers. While they last that is, Jobs admitted that demand on Bumper cases will for a time outstrip supply. So for any that miss out, Apple is soon to compile a list of alternative cases for customers to choose from should they miss out on a Bumper case.
In the Q&A following his statement, Steve Jobs did say says that the free Bumper case solution would include non-US iPhone customers.
And the white iPhone 4?
Oh, and one more thing. The iPhone 4 in white will be start to be sold soon by Apple, but Steve Jobs indicates the quantities available will be limited. That may mean Australia will not see the white iPhone 4 for a little while.
iPhone 4 specifications
- Network: UMTS/HSDPA/HSUPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900MHz)
- Battery: Built-in rechargeable lithium-ion battery
- Talk time: 3G: up to 7 hours; 2G: up to 12 hours
- Standby time: up to 300 hours
- Internet use: 3G: up to 6 hours; Wi-Fi: up to 9 hours
- Video playback: up to 40 hours
- Camera: 5-megapixel still camera, video recording, HD (720p) up to 30 frames per second with audio, LED flash, photo and video geotagging
- Location features: Assisted GPS, digital compass
- Wi-Fi: 802.11b/g/n (802.11n 2.4GHz only)
- Storage: 16GB or 32GB
- Screen: Retina display, 3.5-inch (diagonal) widescreen Multi-Touch display, 960 x 640-pixel resolution at 326 pip, 800:1 contrast ratio (typical)
- Buttons: Home, On/Off/Sleep?Wake, Volume, Ring/Silent
- In the box: iPhone 4, stereo headset with mic, dock connector to USB cable, USB power adapter, documentation
- Dimensions: 115.2 x 58.6 x 9.3 mm (H x W x D)
- Weight: 137 grams
Subscribe to TechStyle’s RSS by email service
Keep up with TechStyle’s articles, news, reviews and more, by having it delivered direct to your email inbox. It’s quick and easy to subscribe, and you control your subscription.