Looking a little like the bastard child of a Lego block and a PlayStation 3 controller, the Jambox by Jawbone is a very adaptable wireless speaker.
Constructed of ‘stainless steel and industrial-weight molded rubber casing’, the Jambox can wirelessly pair with up to two devices at a time – such as a mobile phone, iPad, computer – and pump out up to 85 decibels.
The Jambox also contains a microphone, allowing you to use the device as a speakerphone. On top of the device are to button to increase and decrease volume, and a talk button.
There’s also an option to use the Jambox as a wired speaker, via the 3.5 mm audio input.
Connect the Jambox to a computer, and you’re able to download apps and software upgrades.
Jambox price and release date
The Jambox is selling overseas for US$199.99. The Australian distributors have confirmed that it will go on sale here in early February, and will sell for AU$249.00. Stockists at this stage will be Apple stores and selected Telco stores and independents.
Watch the Jambox in action
- Proprietary acoustic drivers (stereo pair)
- Proprietary passive bass radiator
- Output Level: 85dB at 0.5m
- Frequency response: 60 Hz – 20 kHz
- Wireless range: at least 33 feet
- Connectivity: Bluetooth, 3.5 mm stereo input, micro-USB (charging only), simultaneous Multipoint (enabled via MyTALK): make connections to two devices at the same time
- Bluetoothv2.1 compliant
- Computer compatibility: MyTALK, Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP, Mac OSX 10.5 and higher
- Supports Enhanced Data Rate (EDR)
- Profiles Supported: Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP) 1.2, Hands-Free Profile (HFP) 1.5, Headset Profile (HSP) 1.1
- Dimensions: 151 x 57 x 40 mm (L x W x H)
- Weight: 327 grams