In a blast from the past the Motorola RAZR smartphone – the big winner in mobile phone design in the pre-iPhone days – has returned. This time it’s not a flip phone, and it’s running on Android Gingerbread (aka Android 2.3).
The new Motorola RAZR this time around is a ‘candy bar’ phone, with a large screen, at 4.3 inches, a Super AMOLED Advanced screen at that. And while the screen is big, by comparison it is super thin – 7.1 mm at it’s thinnest point, which is most of the length of the phone, it deepens out at the bottom. Thin doesn’t equal weak. The back of the Motorola RAZR is made of Kevlar fibre, while the screen is Corning Gorilla Glass tough. The cherry on top of the protection is a splash-guard coating.
Inside is 1GB of RAM, and a dual-core 1.2GHz processor, and some security magic with “Government-grade encryption protects your email, contacts and calendar.”
Motorola RAZR price and availability
The new Motorola RAZR will be exclusive to Optus, and will be available in November for $0 upfront on the $59 Optus Cap plan. The total minimum cost over 24 months on this plan is $1,416.
“The original Motorola RAZR was an iconic phone synonymous with sleek, stylish design and quickly became an object of desire. Now we’ve done it again by creating the next impossibly thin smartphone – a head-turning design with the power to carry your life with you,” says Timo Brouwer, managing director of Motorola Mobility across ANZPI. “We know Optus customers in Australia will be lining up to be the first to have the next generation Motorola RAZR.”
Motorola RAZR specifications
- Operating system: Android 2.3.5 (Gingerbread)
- Screen: 4.3” 540×960 Super AMOLED Advanced
- Processor: Dual-core 1.2GHz processor
- Battery: 1780.00 mAh
- Talk time: Up to 10 hours
- Standby time: 13.5 days
- Bands/Modes: WCDMA 850/2100/1900/900, GSM 900/850/1900/1800, HSDPA 14.4 Mbps (Category 10), EDGE Class 12
- Connectivity: 3.5mm, BOTA, Corporate Sync, DLNA, MML, Phone Portal
- Bluetooth: Stereo Bluetooth Class 2, Version 4.0 LE+EDR
- Messaging/Web/Apps: MMS, SMS, Email (Corporate Sync, Google Mail, Push Email, Yahoo Mail) IM (GTalk), WebKit w/ Flash
- Camera: 8 megapixel main camera, 1.3 megapixel frnt camera; P2P Video, LED flash
- Audio formats: AAC, AAC+, AAC+ Enhanced, AMR NB, AMR WB, MIDI, MP3, WAV, WMA v10, WMA v9
- Video: Capture/Playback/Streaming, HD Video, H.263, H.264, MPEG4, WMV v9
- Storage & memory: 1GB RAM x 16GB ROM , 11.5GB user available memory
- WLAN: 802.11b, 802.11g, 802.11n
- Location services: aGPS (assisted), eCompass, sGPS (simultaneous), GLONASS
- Pre-loaded applications: MotoCast™, Google Mobile Services, Google Talk™
- Dimensions: 130.70 x 68.90 x 7.1 mm (H x W x D)
- Weight: 127 grams
So what do you think? Do you like the new Motorola RAZR, or are you disappointed that it lost its iconic flip phone design? Comment below any thoughts you have about the Motorola RAZR.