Yes, the word Twilight is in the title of this article, but fear not, this is not about moody, dull, shirtless vampires. Instead, let me introduce you to the Pure Digital Twilight digital radio.
Digital radio is an interesting area in terms of design, with manufacturers not being bound by sameness in shape, look and feel, or feature set. The Pure Twilight is an excellent example. It is quite specifically designed for the bedroom, with the ability for owners to go to sleep or wake up to a variety of sounds – effects like the sound of birds chirping or water running, built-in tunes such as lullabies, or to a digital or FM radio station.
But the standout feature of the Pure Twilight digital clock is the light feature atop the radio. Using 6 LED lights, the top can be used as a night light, or utilising one or all of the six colours, a mood light to wake up to. The lights are energy efficient, using only 5.4W to achieve the same level of light as a 45W incandescent light bulb.
This video will give you a good idea of what the lighting component of the Twilight can do:
Pure Twilight price and availability
In the UK the Pure Twilight sells for £130. At the time of writing this product is not listed on Pure’s Australian website. One to keep an eye on then.
UPDATE: APRIL 7, 2011 – the Pure Twilight digital radio will go on sale in Australia next month, and its price will be $329 RRP.
Pure Twilight specifications
- Digital and FM radio. UK products receive DAB/FM; non-UK products receive DAB/DAB+/DMB-Radio/FM.
- Speakers: 2 x 2.5″ full range drive units
- Audio power output: 5W RMS
- Input connectors: 5.5V DC power adaptor socket. 3.5mm Line-in for auxiliary devices. USB (mini-AB type) for product updates.
- Output connectors: 3.5mm stereo headphone socket, USB PowerPort (500 mA)
- Display: Graphical 128 x 64 pixel FSTN LCD display
- Lamp: 6 high-power, energy-efficient LEDs for dawn simulation and mood lighting.
- Dimensions: 360 x 180 x 120 mm (W x H x D).
- Preset mood lighting and custom light settings from nightlight to reading lamp
- Built-in lullabies and PURE Sounds
- Four independent alarm settings, with wake to tone, digital radio, FM or natural sounds
- Light sensor adjusts the display brightness to suit the light levels in your room
- Connect an iPod or MP3 player
- 30 station presets (digital or FM)
- 3.5 mm headphone socket