There’s no word yet on the actual release date, but The Lord of the Rings: Extended Edition, mostly in the Blu-ray format, is on the way. It will be a 15 disc box set, and although there’s nothing new, this is the most complete collection of the extended editions of the three films, and of bonus material.
I said above that the set will be mostly on Blu-ray. The films are in the Blu-ray format, with 30 minutes of extra footage added to Return of the King, 43 minutes added to The Two Towers, and 50 minutes added to Return of the King. The bonus material will be standard definition DVD. The collection will be as previously packaged in the The Lord of the Rings: Extended Edition on DVD, added to which will be the three behind-the-scenes documentaries by Costa Botes, the filmmaker hired by director Peter Jackson.
The Lord of the Rings: Extended Edition will be available from Amazon from June 28 , at a price of US$83.99.
The Lord of the Rings: Extended Edition on Blu-ray – bonus material
Find below a list of all the ‘disc-bound’ bonus material. In addition the boxset will provide access to exclusive online features.
- Peter Jackson, Fran Walsh, and Philippa Boyens
- the design team
- the production/post-production team
- the cast, including Elijah Wood, Ian McKellen, Sean Astin, Andy Serkis, John Rhys-Davies, Orlando Bloom, Christopher Lee and Miranda Otto
- “From Book to Vision”
- “From Vision to Reality”
- “The Journey Continues…”
- Documentaries on J.R.R. Tolkein
- “From Book to Script”
- “Designing and Building Middle-earth”
- “Home of the Horse Lords”
- “Filming ‘The Two Towers”
- “Visual Effects”
- “Editorial: Refining the Story”
- “Music and Sound”
- “The Battle for Helm’s Deep is Over…”
- “Filming The Return of the King”
- “Weta Digital”
- “Post-Production: Journey’s End”
- “The Passing of an Age”
- “Cameron Duncan: The Inspiration for ‘Into the West.
- Three behind-the-scenes documentaries by Costa Botes, the filmmaker director Peter Jackson personally hired
- “Middle-earth Atlas: Tracing the Journeys of the Fellowship” interactive map
- “New Zealand as Middle-earth” interactive map with on-location footage
- “The Mumakil Battle” demonstration / multi-angle interactive feature
- “DFK6498” short film
- “Strike Zone” short film