The Harman Kardon SB 16 is another of the soundbar style of speakers, designed to provide an approximation of surround sound, with having to find room for 5, 6 or 7 individual speakers.
Sound processing circuitry in the SB 16 provides two options. A 3-D Virtual Speaker surround mode, or a 2-channel stereo mode for traditional stereo playback. The sound emanates from one speaker unit containing two-way, dual-driver left and right soundbar speaker modules, each with two 3″ (75mm) midrange drivers and a 3/4″ (19mm)-dome tweeter, video-shielded.
Plus there’s a 100 watt subwoofer unit, that works wirelessly, allowing you to place it anywhere you have space – hopefully giving you a level of convenience and sound quality given the subwoofer placement. The SB 16 contains an auto turn-on circuit – turn on the TV, or the sound source, and the subwoofer powers-on.
Harman Kardon SB 16 Soundbar price and availability
Harman Kardon SB 16 Soundbar is available now online, or at retail stores in Australia at $1,299 RRP.
Harman Kardon SB 16 Soundbar specifications
- Soundbar speakers: Two x 75mm (3″) cone midrange speakers and one x 19mm (3/4″) dome tweeter per channel
- Soundbar amplifier power: 2 x 25W
- Wireless subwoofer amplifier power: 100 watts
- System frequency response: 50Hz – 20kHz
- 3-D Virtual Speaker surround mode that creates a complete surround-sound experience without any extra speakers or wires
- 1 x stereo analog audio input, 1 x coaxial digital input, 1 x optical digital input
- Dimensions (H x W x D) and weight – centre: 110 x 920 x 89 mm; 3.6 kg subwoofer: 480 x 380 x 380 mm; 15 kg
Vale Sidney Harman
I’d also like to say Vale Sidney Harman, co-founder of Harman Kardon, who passed away on April 12. Harmon Kardon have issue the following statement:
On behalf of the employees and the Board of HARMAN International, it is with great sadness that we learned of the passing of HARMAN founder and Chairman Emeritus Sidney Harman.
“His legacy of leading-edge innovation and premium quality will continue to live on at HARMAN and I am grateful to Dr. Harman for the trust he placed in the company’s management to carry on his legacy” said HARMAN Chairman, President and CEO, Dinesh Paliwal.