Another entry for 2010: The year of the tablet computer, is the Notion Ink Adam. The Notion was shown to the world press at this year’s CES and Mobile World Congress at Barcelona, and, initially at least, will run on the Android 2.x operating system.
There’s some very interesting new ideas that Notion Ink CEO and engineer Rohan Shravan has thrown into the Adam mix. The touchscreen can alternate between a readability- and outdoor-friendly e-paper mode, or a full colour LCD screen mode. And while it is touchscreen, the Atom also has a mouse trackpad on the underside of the device. Battery life given, and yes, this can be a somewhat rubbery figure in all devices, is an impressive 140 hours for audio playback, and 16 hours of video playback. No figures are given for ‘regular’ computer usage.
If we’re to believe the Notion Ink blog, the Adam is pretty much ready to ship. But it is being held within for a little while yet, for one reason, the availability is being driven by the “the marketing strategies of our partners aka Telecom Firms. It depends a lot on them when they want to hit the markets.”
And in a blog entry from the day the Apple iPad was released, Rohan Shravan had this to say:
So, are the stories of product delays true? To be frank, I can’t say (sic) about other companies. But we want to go ahead only with Flash availability. As soon as the stable Flash is there, there will be two months of testing and we will hit the stores.
- Operating system: Initially Android 2.x, though Ubuntu Linux and Chrome OS versions are also in the pipeline.
- Chip system: NVIDIA TEGRA 2, Dual-Core ARM® CORTEX -A9 MPCORE™ Processor, ULP GPU
- Screen mode 1: Pixel Qi Display – 10.1″ TFT Liquid Crystal Display, WSVGA (1024 x 600 pixels) resolution, transmissive, transflective, and reflective display modes
- Screen mode 2: Non-Pixel Qi Display – 10.1″ TFT Liquid Crystal Display, capacitive touch panel with multi-touch, matt finish/anti-glare coating, scratch resistant and fingerprint-resistant surface
- Connections: USB 2.0, 2 x HDMI, MicroSD slot, SIM Card slot, DC connector, 3.5 mm headphone jack, microphone jack, docking port
- Networking: WLAN – 802.11 b/g; Bluetooth 2.1 A2DP; WWAN – 3G HSDPA
- Battery type: 3 cell standard battery
- Battery life: Over 140 hours audio and over 16 hours of HD video playback
- Storage: 16 / 32 GB eMMC
- Camera: 3.2 MP swivel camera
- Audio: Two speakers, built-in microphone
- Keyboard / Mouse: On-screen keyboard, back side trackpad
- Sensors: 3-Axis accelerometer, ambient light sensing, A-GPS
- Dimensions: 239 x 158 x 13 mm (W x H x D)
- Weight: 600 to 650 grams
Subscribe to TechStyle’s RSS by email service
Keep up with TechStyle’s articles, news, reviews and more, by having it delivered direct to your email inbox. It’s quick and easy to subscribe, and you control your subscription.