The Ricoh PX digital camera was announced yesterday, and is due on the shelves in a few weeks.
It’s a 16 megapixel camera, using Ricoh’s Smooth Imaging IV image processing engine. It has 5x optical zoom, and is waterproof to 3 metres, shockproof for falls up to 1.5 metres. It shoots video in addition to photographs, it also shoots HD video, at up to 1280 x 720, at 30 frames per second. Connect to your TV via HDMI cable, and watch your movies play direct from the Ricoh PX.
If you want to make your shots a little less standard there’s a good selection of shooting modes, 24 in total, including Miniaturise, that mimics tilt shift photography, and Toy Camera, that will produce the sharp contrast and saturated colours photos, as you see in shots from toy cameras and some smartphone camera apps.
Ricoh PX release date and price
The Ricoh PX has a release date of late June, in a choice of black, silver or green, and at a price of $299 RRP.
Optional extras include Ricoh PJ-1 protective silicon sleeves in yellow, pink, blue, brown and white, and Ricoh ST-4 neck straps in black, pink, blue, green and brown.
Check out the Ricoh store on Amazon
Ricoh PX specifications
- No. of effective pixels: approx. 16 million
- Image sensor: 1/2.3? CCD (approx. 16.40 total million pixels)
- Screen: 2.7 -inch transmissive LCD monitor with approx. 230,000 dots
- Focal length : 5–25 mm (35 mm format equivalent: 28–140 mm)
- F-aperture: F3.9 (wide-angle) to F5.4 (telephoto)
- Optical zoom: 5x (35 mm format equivalent: 28–140 mm)
- Shutter speed: Photos – 8, 4, 2, and 1–1/2000 s; Movies – 1/30–1/2000 s
- ISO sensitivity: Auto, ISO 100, ISO 200, ISO 400, ISO 800, ISO 1600, ISO 3200
- White balance: Auto, multi-pattern auto, outdoors, cloudy, incandescent 1, incandescent 2, fluorescent, manual
- Shooting modes: Normal, movie, premium shot (P, portrait, night portrait, hand-held night scene, party, cooking, sweets, loupe, landscape, beach, snow, sports, fireworks, auction, skew correction, pets, miniaturise, toy camera, high contrast B&W, soft focus, cross processing, black & white, sepia)
- Image size (pixels): Photos – 4608 x 3456, 4608 x 3072, 3456 x 3456, 4608 x 2592, 3648 x 2736, 2592 x 1944, 2304 x 1728, 1280 x 960, 640 x 480; Movies – 1280 x 720, 640 x 480
- Storage: SD and SDHC memory cards (up to 32 GB), internal memory (approx. 40 MB); Eye-Fi cards (X2 series) supported
- Interface: USB 2.0 (High-Speed) mini-B connector, Mass Storage compatible, AV output 1.0 Vp-p (75 Ohms), HDMI micro output terminal (type D)
- Battery life: Approximately 300 shots with DB-100 (Off selected for Sleep Mode)
- Dimensions: 100 mm x 55 mm x 21.3 mm (W x H x D)
- Weight: Approx. 156 grams (includes memory card and supplied battery)
Sites of interest