Panasonic announced today its next Micro Four Thirds camera, the Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3.
Micro Four Thirds cameras give you the most of the shooting power and creativity of a digital SLR camera, without the bulk. Indeed the Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 is 25% smaller than it predecessor, the Lumix DMC-G2.
This 16.6 megapixel camera also takes on board features from compact digital cameras, such as scene modes, and ‘Creative Control’, allowing in-camera manipulation of captured images to Expressive, Retro, High Key, Sepia and High Dynamic colour modes.
The Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3Lumix DMC-G3 has an RRP in the USA of US$699 (with the 14-42mm lens). And it is available for pre-order right now on the Amazon website, including the brown colour, that will not go on sale in Australia. The estimated shipping date for the Lumix G3 in the USA is sometime this month.
UPDATE: The Australian release date for the Panasonic G3 camera is sometime in August, with local pricing details to be released close to that date.
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 specifications
- 16.6 megapixel CMOS sensor (standard Micro Four Thirds size)
- Image sensor size: 17.3 x 13.0 mm (in 4:3 aspect ratio)
- Zoom: 2x digital zoom, 4x in live view
- ISO 160-6400
- 4 fps continuous shooting (20fps at 4MP)
- 1920 x 1080 Full HD video recording
- GF2-style touch screen interface
- 1080i60 AVCHD shooting (from 30p sensor output)
- All-area AF point selection
- Pinpoint AF mode (magnifies focus point to allow confirmation and fine-tune of AF position)
- Tracking AF in video mode
- Picture-in-picture manual focus magnification
- 460k dot articulated LCD
- Dust Reduction System – places a supersonic wave filter in front of the Live MOS sensor
- 1.44M dot-equivalent electronic viewfinder (phase sequential type
- Recording media: SD Memory Card, SDHC Memory Card, SDXC Memory Card
- Recording formats: Still Image: JPEG (DCF, Exif 2.3), RAW, DPOF compatible MPO (when attaching 3D lens in Micro Four Thirds standard). Motion Image: AVCHD / QuickTime Motion JPEG
- Weight: 336 grams (body only)
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 release date and price
Panasonic has the Lumix DMC-G3 listed for a July 2011 release. Unfortunately, it has not give the camera a price, that will be revealed closer to the release date. Colour-wise, the black, white and red models have been chosen to go on sale in Australia.
If you’re in Sydney on June 25 and 26, you can grab an early look at the Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 at the PMA Imaging & Entertainment Expo.
Sites of interest