Nokia has just released details of the release of the N8, its latest touchscreen, N Series smartphone.
The Nokia N8 is the first Nokia phone to run on the new Symbian^3 operating system, the first fruit of Nokia doling out the Symbian code to the open source community. There’s more on Symbian^3 below.
The N8 continues the trend of Nokia’s NSeries, indeed more and more smartphones these days, of making them very much portable content creators, with the 12 megapixel digital camera, 720P HD video, and in-phone image editing.
Social media is pushed front and centre, with Facebook and Twitter feeds on the homescreen, or they’re one click away from phone’s address book.
Out of the box there’s free worldwide satellite car and walk navigation from Ovi Maps – over 70 countries. To make your mapping experience really pop, there is also built-in premium guides from Lonely Planet and Via Michelin, offering localised travel, restaurant, weather, and hotel tips. And like the HTC Desire, the Nokia N8 has separate, customisable homescreens – three in total.
To look at what the Symbian^3 operating system offers, here’s a couple of YouTube videos. One quite serious one:
And one slightly more flashy one, with demonstrations of the Symbian^3 user interface:
- System: WCDMA 850/900/1700/1900/2100 and GSM/EDGE 850/900/1800/1900
- Data: GPRS/EDGE class B, multislot class 33; HSDPA Cat9, maximum speed up to 10.2 Mbps, HSUPA Cat5 2.0 Mbps
- Operating system: Symbian^3
- Form factor: Touch screen monoblock
- Dimensions: 113.5 x 59.12 x 12.9 mm (L x W x H)
- Weight: 135 grams
- Display: 3.5 inch widescreen (640 x 360 pixels) capacitive touch
- Battery: 1200mAh BL-4D
- Storage: 16GB mass memory + micro SD card slot, 135MB internal memory, support up to 32GB memory cards; RAM256; ROM512
- Connectivity: Nokia Adapter Cable for HDMI CA-156, WLAN IEEE802.11 b/g/n, BT2.1 with support for stereo headsets, Micro-USB 2.0 high speed for file
- Transfers and charging, USB On-the-Go, Nokia AV connector 3.5 mm for audio input/output and TV out
- Audio: Battery: Dolby Digital Plus surround sound and HDMI connection to a home entertainment system
- Camera: 12 megapixels with Carl Zeiss optics, video HD 720p; Aperture: F2.8; Focal length: 5.4; Xenon flash
- Music playback: FM radio, FM transmitter, MP3 player; Supported codecs: MP3, AAC,eAAC, eAAC+,WMA,AMR-WB, DRM support, DRM: OMA DRM 2.0
- Video playback: Video recording, Performance: encoding 25fps, decoding 30fps; File formats: H.264, MPEG-4, VC-1, H.263, Real Video 10, ON2 VP6, Flash video
- Talk time: GSM – 12 hours; WCDMA – 5 hours 50 minutes
- Standby: GSM – 390 hours; WCDMA: 400 hours
- Video record –3 hours 20 minutes
- Music playback: 50 hours
- Video playback –7 hours
- Video playback with HDMI – 6 hours
- Web TV –3 hours 20 minutes
Nokia N8 release date and price
There will be a choice of five colours: Dark Grey, Silver White, Green, Blue and Orange.
The Nokia N8 will now go on sale in Australia in late October. The Nokia N8 price will be an RRP of $749 when bought outright. There will be a choice of five colours: Dark Grey, Silver White, Green, Blue and Orange.
For a look at some more pictures, more videos, and generally more things Nokia N8, take a look at all of our Nokia N8 stories.